Tuesday, January 4, 2011

By it's very definition, glee is about opening yourself up to joy

With the purchase of my new tv (courtesy of Santa Claus), I decided to join the Blu-Ray club.  Naturally, I followed with a Hulu-Plus subscription which inevitably led to me checking out a show that I've been somewhat curious about:  Glee.  Hence the title of this blog.  Though this blog is not going to be about the show, I will admit that it is better than I expected and has a great sense of dark humor.  I'll go ahead and admit that I will be compelled to watch the entire show.  Starting tonight with Season 1/Episode 1.

What is on my mind tonight is glee, but of a different form.  I get so much joy and glee from my family.  I have several friends and close coworkers who I know are not as fortunate as I am in my relationship with my family.  I am so very lucky that I am close to my sister, my mom, and my dad.  I have a very open relationship with both of my parents, and I always have - even in high school.  My parents have always been "cool" because I could be honest with them.  Sometimes I probably told them things that they would have rather not known, but I think deep down they were also proud that I always knew I could tell them anything.  I am so grateful for that.

My family has experienced some challenging times in the last couple of years, and it has brought me even closer to my mom.  I didn't think it was possible to be closer to her, but as things change and our relationship changes with the time, I discover that we can always be closer.  I am so grateful for her.  Though I am biased about what a wonderful person my mom is, I know without a doubt that anyone who knows my mom would agree that she is a saint.  She has been a school teacher for over 35 years, and she has touched the lives of so many people.  I often run into grown adults who will recall specific songs or lessons my mom shared with them in their education journey.  There must be hundreds of kids out there whose all time favorite teacher is "Miss Maribeth."  I wasn't made out to be a teacher, but if I could make a difference in half of the number of people's lives that my mother has, then I can be proud.

In the last few months, I've been very compelled to do something different.  At first, I felt like I was being driven in a different career direction, but after some serious soul searching, I think my heart just needs to do some things that are meaningful and make a difference in the lives of others.  People who have met me would probably agree that at first impression, I come off as a hard-ass.  But people who really know me know that I am a big softie and am very devoted to making a difference or doing something to help others.  I am working on several outlets by which I can devote time and money (what little I do have) to achieve this.  Once some of my ideas have come to fruition I will share them on here and hopefully educate others on ways that they can give too. 

In closing, I would like to officially document my primary new year's resolution.  I'm not usually one to have a resolution because it is just so cliche to me.  However, this is something that I really want to do, and I'm hoping that putting it in writing will help me follow through.  So here it is:  get out more.  The last year has really been me doing a lot of work and when I'm not working I'm so tired that all I want to do is go home and do something mindless.  However, it seems like I "wake up" and weeks have passed since I've done anything fun or seen my friends.  So my goal is to get out more - whether it's going to the dog park (which I love), going to see local live music, going on road trips, or going to the library.  Central Arkansas has a lot to offer, and I plan to take advantage of it. 

Here's to making the best of 2011!  I'm signing off now to watch the Razorbacks play in the Sugar Bowl.

WOO PIG SOOIE!!!

3 comments:

  1. I dig it sister. A lot. You go is all I can say. My new year's resolutions: No.1: Find a job worthy of me that fulfills me, keeps a smile on my face and treats me the way I deserve to be treated. No. 2: Get my finances in order, finally. Prep work is already done -- thanks to the involuntary hard times I've been dealing with, but that's OK. Blessing in disguise. No. 3: Spend more time with the "TRUE" friends and less time with the "JUST-PARTY" friends. No. 4: (and I note these are not in order of importance) Get back in touch with my spiritual side. So, thanks for the inspiration to write this!! Love u girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to read about your everyday thoughts and experiences! Got a feeling I will learn a lot. Be sure to write on the good days, and not so good ones, and remember to expect both in 2011! We all have them, the difference is how we face them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really think you would like the kind of trip I'm on right now. It's been a great experience and has really helped clear my head of a lot of the things you and I have discussed about The Work and The Personal. I will talk to you more about it when I get back. Happy New Year. :)

    ReplyDelete