Sunday, December 4, 2011

Assorted observations of late

Wow, it's been a long time (almost 2 months since my last posting, and I'd slipped to approximately 1 post per month), so I'm going to make some general observations about what's up in my life or going through my mind lately:


  1. I love this time of year.  My birthday marks the official start of my favorite season.  November 17 usually is very close to the week I always take off for Thanksgiving to be with my family.
  2. Thanksgiving this year was great because I was with family.  It could've been better by us not all (yes, all) having the stomach virus at some point during Thanksgiving week.
  3. I am especially excited this year that I have an extra 'thing' to look forward to.  Approximately 1 month after the new year arrives, me and a friend are going to Atlanta for 2 nights of Widespread Panic's Wood Tour (acoustic).   Widespread Panic Wood Tour  
  4. This backs directly up to the week long trip in Cancun that I'll also be spending with Widespread Panic {sigh}.  So it looks a little something like this:  Friday/Saturday:  Acoustic Panic in Atlanta; Sunday:  fly back to LR; Monday:  fly out for Mexico; Tuesday, Wednesday, Thurday, Friday:  4 nights of electric Panic ON THE BEACH; Saturday:  recovery day; Sunday: fly home [Monday return to work :(  ]  To say that I'm excited would be a small understatement.  This will definitely eliminate the overall sense of depression and letdown that naturally comes with the completion of the holidays.  
  5. I don't know yet what I'll be doing for New Year's, but given #3 & 4, I will be perfectly content having a tame evening with my family, if that's what I end up doing.
  6.  I am very grateful to have several days off of work to spend with my family for the Christmas holiday.  There is absolutely nothing like being 'at home' during the holidays.
  7. I have been reminded lately of how much I really love both of my dogs.   In different ways, but I love them both equally.  
  8. Sydney (my 'younger,' 9 year old German Shorthair Pointer rescue baby) was very recently diagnosed with liver disease.  Other than her liver problems, my vet confirmed that she is the picture of perfect health so I am optimistic that she will respond quickly and fully to the medications that she is now taking daily.  I took her in because I thought she was having a UTI or bladder infection or something and ended up finding this.  I feel very lucky that we found it this early, and my dr. said he expects her to live her full life expectancy.  But, of course, I'm still worrying and concerned for the worst.  She'll go through another round of testing in about 25 days, so send us your healing energy.  
  9. I'm not putting up a tree this year.  
  10. I am as excited as I am every year about the holidays (maybe even more excited due to the age of my niece and how much fun she is going to have), but for some reason, I have absolutely no desire to drag out all the holiday decorations and 'deal' with that.  There is always at least a week (usually more) during December that I'm not even at my house, so I'm just not doing it this year.
  11. I have been called Scrooge at least 5 times due to #10.  Not putting up decorations does not make me a Scrooge.  I have more Christmas spirit than at least 2 of the average persons combined.  Trust me.
  12. I love Christmas shopping.  Probably too much.  I always overspend (to my recipients' advantage) but I absolutely love giving gifts.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy receiving too.  But I would almost venture to say that I enjoy giving gifts more than receiving. 
  13. I went to my first and LAST Wal-Mart Black Friday sale.  I was in Forrest City for Thanksgiving and my sister talked me into joining her to attempt to get a couple of great deals on some stuff for Mary Ashtyn.  I won't even bother with the details - I'll just say that I saw many grown people acting like pure idiots.  It is a shame and so not worth the money saved to have to witness the insanity that comes with 'Black Friday' shopping.  From now on, I'll be at home in my pajamas doing my shopping.
  14. I'm sick of politics.  Never a huge fan but already getting sick of the campaign trash talk that spoils my nightly news.
  15. Saturday Night Live can still make me laugh.  I've been a huge fan since I was around 12-13, and though they've been through a few rough periods, they have consistently made me laugh all these years, and it feels damn good to laugh as hard as they make me.  I watched several episodes this weekend - new and old - that both made me laugh out loud.  
  16. I wish that bad things didn't happen to good people.  I guess bad things happen to both bad and to good people, but it hurts me to see bad things happening to good people.  I know of several instances lately where assorted 'bad' things have happened to some of the most undeserving people I know.  This is on my mind a lot.
  17. It is my 'grown up Christmas wish' that everyone I know (and those I don't) have a wonderful holiday season.  Whatever it is that you celebrate - I think we all celebrate our family - the ones that we love and that love us, and the happiness that comes with adorning your loved ones with gifts, large and small, to express the love you have.  Spending quality time in fellowship with your friends and family is truly the best part of the holiday.
  18. I have a magazine/newsletter addiction.  It drives my sister crazy when I show up to my mom's with my obligatory stack of magazines, but I absolutely love sitting down with a magazine or a local newspaper (Arkansas Times, Sync Weekly, etc) for a good read.  I think I'll do that now.

No comments:

Post a Comment