Sunday, April 3, 2011

Excitement in the form of Panic

I'm one of those people who loves Sundays.  To most people, Sunday represents the end of the weekend.  You don't get to stay up late on Sunday like you can on Saturday because you have to get up early to start the first day of (for most) a 5-day workweek.  Any chores that didn't get done on Saturday must get done on Sunday so you can feel like something was accomplished this weekend.  Oh, dreaded Sunday.

But wait.....

Today, I didn't get out of bed until 12:10.  I made my way to the couch to wake up with a cup of coffee.  I came across the first 15 minutes of Avatar.  I am one of the 2% of the population who hasn't seen this movie.  Though it was not typically something I would like, I was completely amazed by the graphics as well as the interesting story. 

2 hours later, I'm still on the couch.  Unable to find the motivation to get up and do the things I didn't get done yesterday.  Don't get me wrong, I made progress yesterday.  But there are a few critical things that must get done before my head hits the pillow tonight.

What are these critical tasks that I can't get motivated to do?

Pack.  And not even for a dreaded work trip!  I'm packing for a mini-vacation to our nation's capitol.  And not just for a tourist visit (though I'm sure I'll get my share of that too) - for 2 (count it, two!) nights of Widespread Panic at the Warner Theater in downtown D.C.  Friday night marked the opening show of a 2-night run in Louisville, KY.  They play tonight in Indiana, PA and take Monday night off.  And then, they're bringing the heat to the District of Columbia!

I spontaneously booked this trip about 5 weeks ago, anxious to do something different.  Took care of the travel arrangements and bided my time whittling the days away until I make my 2nd annual Ashley's Solo Panic Tour to a Random City I've Never Been to Before.  I went to Chicago for 4 days at the end of August in 2009, and while I got to the shows and hung out with people I knew, I still went alone. 

I lot of people think it's weird.  I think it's awesome!

Don't get me wrong, I love when I can do trips with my friends!  I have 2 really awesome trips on the books with some great friends in the next 2 months.

But I also LOVE going on trips/tour with myself.  I remember a time in 1999 - I had an itch to go see Panic.  They were playing in Chattanooga the night before Thanksgiving, and I wanted to go.  With family commitments, none of my friends could make the trip.  I decided that I wasn't going to let that stop me.  So I drove to East Tennessee by myself.  I found some random fun people to hang out at the show with, and after the show, I drove back to my Mom's house with plenty of time for rest before Thanksgiving lunch.

Now here I am, almost 12 years later, excited like a child on Christmas Eve.  I am so excited about seeing all of the history in the capital of our United States.  I am also very hyped about seeing Panic in a historic theater 2 nights in a row.  I am anxious to enjoy Panic with a different flavor of fans.  I am thrilled that I get to roam the city and do anything and everything that I want to do.  I would have been just as excited if I had a travel partner, but there is certainly a unique excitement that comes with doing a solo vacay.

The thing that puzzles me at this point - why can't I get motivated to get it together?  I have my list, but I have been deferring all day to actually make it come to fruition.  After all, it's just PACKING!

I have an idea. 

http://panicstream.com/streams/wsp/2010_04_20/player.html

Widespread Panic
04/20/2010
The Warner Theatre
Washington, DC
http://everydaycompanion.com/setlists/20100420a.asp

Hope everyone has a great week - I know I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment